Have you noticed how many times you, or someone in your group, uses their phone to find something nearby? Tara Banda makes some good points in the article SEO In The City: Tips Inspired by the City That Never Sleeps. She sees some correlations between the busy neighborhood streets full of stores and restaurants and the way our websites function.
5 Local Mobile SEO Tips
- Make it really obvious who you are and what you do. Just like the mom & pop store makes it clear what they offer, good website optimization focuses on what you offer.
- Make sure your business is in all the directories your potential customer is using. And make sure the information is updated with hours, address, and contact information.
- Make your website mobile-friendly. You should be showing up on maps and have easy-to-read-on-a-phone stuff.
- Make your site appealing with images — and tag those images with keywords so you boost the SEO effect.
- Make your presence known in the community online as well as off. The mom & pop store is a place where you know them and they know you…social media does that for you
Start With Your Friends
I think that a good way to start seeing where your business could use some local internet marketing tips is by asking your friends to look you up on their phones and give you feedback. Different devices might change the way your site looks, and some directory pages may have outdated information. Ask you customers for feedback, too.
Doing this lets you know how your own local neighborhood sees you online, and you can do something about it. If your business is invisible on local searches, it’s like not having a sign in your window to let folks know you are open.