Did you know you can use Twitter for research? It’s not just a marketing tool. You can use it for keyword research, market research, competitive research, or any kind of research where you need actionable data and information.
Here are a few ways to use Twitter for conducting research:
- Twitter Search – Twitter has a search feature. You can search for any kind of information. Just type in the keywords you are looking for and if anyone has tweeted about it, you’ll find it there.
- Hashtags – Search for your favorite hashtags. You’ll get information about anyone using the hashtag. It’s really powerful if you use a posting utility such as Hootsuite to keep a running stream of the hashtags you are following.
- Create Lists – Twitter allows you to create lists of your favorite Twitter users. If you are interested in a specific niche or topic, create a list of your favorite people who tweet on that topic.
- Twitter Trends – Look for trending topics. On Twitter, trending topics are presented to you based on your geographic location and interests. You can tailor them by changing your settings.
- Ask your followers questions – You’ll be surprised at how many of your followers will answer a question. If it interests them, they’ll answer. If they care about a topic and you ask a question, some of your followers will research it and get back to you.
Never underestimate the power of Twitter for research. You can use it to find information to write about on your blog or to find new markets for your business niche.