No matter what kind of business you are in, you can develop a process or methodology of accomplishing your important tasks and then teach that to others. That is really the essence of running your business like it’s a book. And if you think about it, a book is nothing more than a teaching tool.
At least, that’s how John Jantsch thinks about it.
It’s also how I think about it.
Teaching is a great way to get people to see things the way you do. By developing a process or system around certain tasks related to your core business, you make your business more efficient. But a process can also be packaged and sold. Anything that can be packaged and sold can also be taught. It’s just a matter of coming up with the right structure.
Here are the down and dirty steps to turning your process or system into a book that helps others and profits you:
- Start with a well-designed website
- Put a blog on your website and write to it daily. Communicate about important core concepts related to your business processes.
- Start an e-mail newsletter and put your best content in your newsletter.
- Develop an e-course that teaches people to do what you do. Market that e-course through your blog and newsletter.
- Flesh out that e-course more, add some details, and write a book. A book is a great platform and makes you an instant authority.
If you run your business like a book and promote your book through your business, then you’ll see how easy a good process is to control. Be a teacher.