When you go about your link building campaigns, do you bother yourself with ensuring your links are varied in nature? That is, do you use the same anchor text all the time or do you strive to create a more diverse link portfolio? The truth is most SEOs only use one primary keyword for their anchor text.
Link diversity means several things. It isn’t all about anchor text. That’s only one part of the equation. The key is to build a link portfolio that looks natural.
Here are some things to think about in your attempts to build a solid link portfolio:
- Use between 10-25 different anchor texts for each web page you are targeting.
- Build your links from a lot of different types of websites (directories, blogs, forums, etc.) within your niche.
- You can also add a few links from outside of your niche if they are natural links.
- Don’t target only high PageRank sites; to build a solid link portfolio, you need links from websites with a varying degree of authority.
- Make sure some of your anchor text targets long tail keyword phrases while others target general phrases within your niche.
- You can also throw in a few non-keyworded links such as “click here” and “go to” links as those represent a different type of call to action.
- Don’t just link to your home page. In fact, most of your inbound links should point to an internal page.
A good link portfolio is diverse. That means targeting different types of websites for your links as well as different anchor texts.