From time to time I run into someone who says they don’t need SEO, or who doesn’t want to take the time to learn about it. They claim they can be successful without it then point to their current level of success as proof.
While there’s no doubt that a person can be successful without SEO, to suggest that SEO isn’t necessary because you can be successful without it is to miss the point.
For those not in the know, SEO stands for search engine optimization. It’s the process of writing your website’s content so that it can be more easily found in the search engines. If you don’t do this then you are essentially shooting in the dark where search engine marketing is concerned.
You could just promote your website and business through social media and paid advertising models. Just forget about SEO. But when you consider the cost of running an SEO campaign and the potential benefits, why would you? Consider these:
- Every search engine ranking you achieve is free; no one pays to be at the top of the search engine organic positions.
- 80% of all web traffic for most websites comes from search engines.
- You can rank up to two pages on the same website for every search term you target. That means if you have a 100-page website and you have 100 key phrases that are important to you then you have 5,000 potential page 1 positions on each major website from which each of your potential customers may perform a search.
- A well-run search engine optimization campaign has a better chance of delivering targeted traffic to your website on a long term basis than the same level of competence in a social media campaign.
- PPC and social media marketing are considered short term marketing strategies. While effective and beneficial in the short term, if you want effective long term reach then SEO is the best approach no matter what business you are in.
I’m not suggesting you should drop social media or paid search strategies. On the contrary, keep them and don’t change a thing. But if you have not implemented an SEO strategy for your website or business then you should consider adding SEO to your online marketing portfolio. You have nothing to lose and everything to gain.