Social media is a great way to boost your online visibility and it`s something that only requires a little time, as opposed to spending a large chunk of your budget on marketing.
I`ve put together a very simple five step method to make social media work for you and your business. All you have to do is follow these steps and you`ll find that you have more traffic and publicity.
- Pick one social media network. To begin with, don`t try to build up a huge following on twenty different social media sites. You`ll end up spreading yourself too thin, so start with just one . . . you can add more later. Some of my top picks include StumbleUpon and Digg.
- Fill out your full profile. Take the time to fill in all the blanks. This will help like-minded people find you. Don`t leave the “about me” section blank. Add a photo of some sort, whether of you or something representative. Keep in mind that using a more personal nickname as opposed to a business name will help you seem like a real person.
- Bookmark some sites. Depending on where you have chosen to start your social media career, you`ll want to either rank or bookmark a few websites that you like. Make sure you write a review that works . . . don`t just copy and paste bits from the page, give your real opinion on the sites.
- Start making friends. Don`t befriend just anyone. It`s in your best interest to create a network of people who are interested in the same things as yourself. If you start sending out friend requests to everyone and anyone, your messages will be seen as spam.
- Network. Send some messages to your new friends, bookmark their websites, ask what you can do for them. They will likely be very pleased to reciprocate and you will gradually build up a following.
Social media can be an excellent method of getting some free publicity. If you keep working away at it, a little each day, your business will definitely benefit.