Darren Rowse of Problogger fame had a great post the other day on the 12 traits of successful bloggers. I won’t steal all of his thunder, but I’d just like to mention the 12 traits and offer a few comments on them.
- Creative and Playful – You’ve got to have fun with what you’re doing. If it isn’t fun then you probably shouldn’t be doing it.
- Innovative – Darren makes a good point in that this isn’t necessarily about technology. It’s about leadership. Innovators are people who lead the pack in thinking in directions no one has thought before.
- Connectors – As in social butterflies.
- Community Enablers – This one is difficult to master, but there are some new tools coming out now that will make this much more accessible to the average blogger and people just eat the community stuff right up!
- Information Mavens – Soak in as much as you can.
- Communicators – It is a communication medium after all! But I love his last point:
Successful bloggers have the ability to trigger some sort of response in their reader.
- Interest – If you are interested in the topic that you are writing about, you’ll be a much better blogger. It starts with passion.
- Entrepreneurs – Successful bloggers are self starters. If you can’t motivate yourself you can’t motivate anyone else.
- Originality – Dare to be different.
- Perseverance – Success doesn’t happen overnight. You’ve got to keep plugging away at it. Follow your dreams and they’ll reward you.
- Focus – Don’t get distracted. It’s so easy to do.
- Curiosity – If you aren’t curious about new ideas within your niche then blogging isn’t for you. It is very important to stay up with the latest advances and to ask the “what if” questions. If they’re not going where you want to go, take them there.
This is a great list of character traits that anyone who wants to succeed in blogging should develop. Without them, you’re just another voice in the wilderness.