Updated February 8, 2017. Content marketing is an ever-changing discipline. If you want your content marketing to succeed, make sure your team members have the following skills:
- Planning and organization – Your content marketing team will be responsible for establishing and managing your content calendar. They need to be able to think ahead, plan content around your promotional campaigns, and hold it all together. Place one member of the team in charge and let him or her manage the others as well as the process.
- SEO – Search engine optimization is the ability to get your content ranked in the search engines for maximum visibility. While search algorithms are constantly in a state of flux, your content management team needs to be familiar with how the search engines organize and retrieve data.
- Creativity – Content creation is a creative endeavor. Your content marketing team should be able to conduct research and produce content is that is factual but holds reader interest.
- Flexibility – Things change. Online, things change a lot. Your team should be flexible enough to change with it and be adaptable to those changes on a day-to-day basis. It might behoove you to pick team members that can be flexible and adaptable on a minute-to-minute basis. Things can get awfully hot in the kitchen.
- Patience – Results are not always immediate. In fact, results are rarely immediate. It can take some time before you start to see real results from your content marketing efforts. Don’t get discouraged. Keep producing your content and tracking and measuring your results. If something isn’t working, don’t be afraid to tweak it.
- Communication – Your team members have to be able to communicate effectively. There are a lot of moving parts in any content marketing campaign. You need to be able to track who has done what and who is responsible for each piece, from content creation to link building and promoting the content. Make sure you have a system for communicating between team members.
- Team player – Are all of your team members team players? If not, you should drop the dead weight. Content marketing is a team sport. Not everyone is going to be a creator. You should link builders, content promoters, analytics experts, paid advertising professionals, and a host of other members on your team with their unique specialties. They all need to work together.
Does your content marketing team possess these qualities? If not, they should.